PayPal Payment Gateway Set up and Connecting with Litmos Ecommerce Feature
- Create a PayPal business account (instructions listed below). If you already have a PayPal business account, be sure that API access is enabled in PayPal at the Profile tab. See: Step 2: Set Up API Access below.
- A user with Account Owner access will need to enable Ecommerce settings and link the PayPal account to Litmos at: Account Settings,>Litmos Features,>Ecommerce. Here they'll find the url/website address of your organization's unique Ecommerce Course Listing page, as well as an embed code that you can paste in your own blog or site as a Litmos Ecommerce Course Listing Widget.
- To set a course to sell, navigate to course or learning path settings of an assignment and select the option 'I want to sell this course'. Also; designate the price, currency, and a 'Brief' and or 'Full' Description of the item being sold. The Brief Description appears to the learner along with the course title on your Ecommerce course listing page. The 'Full Description' appears on the PayPal payment page after a student has clicked on the course title or clicked to register for the course from your course listing page. If no description is entered, the learner/buyer will see the regular course description (if any). Course description fields have a 250 character limit
- View your unique Ecommerce Course Listing Page to see that your sellable items are listed correctly
- Test the checkout process as a learner
If you see the error message: 'Course sign Up Error. You do not have permissions to make this API call' see: Step 2: Set Up API Access below
NB: If you already have a PayPal Business or PayPal Pro account please skip down to ‘Step 2: Set Up API Access’ below.
Customers who don’t already have a PayPal account:
- Go to https://paypal.com and click 'Sign Up'
- Set up an account for Business Owners.
- Follow the instructions on the PayPal site.
Customers who already have a Personal or Premier PayPal account:Step 1: Upgrade your PayPal status to that of a 'Verified Member'
- Go to PayPal.
- Click the Upgrade your Account link.
- Click the Upgrade Now button.
- Choose to upgrade to a Business account and follow instructions to complete the upgrade.
- If you haven’t already, add a bank account to become a Verified member. Follow the instructions on the PayPal site. This process may take 2-3 business days.
Step 2: Set up API Access:
Once you have created your PayPal business account you need to allow API access to Litmos as a third party integrator so that we can initiate the PayPal transactions on your behalf.
- Log in to your PayPal account and click Profile in the sub-tabs
- In the My selling tools area, click Update next to API access. (This has changed in PayPal Pro to be Request API Credentials)
- Click the Add or edit API permissions link.
- Select Add New Third Party
- In the Third Party Permission Username field, enter support_api1.litmos.com.
- Check Express_Checkout
- Click the Add button.
To check that API access is enabled in your account first login to your PayPal account and click on the 'Profile' option under the 'My Account' tab.
Click 'Update' on the 'API Access' line.
Click “Enable Express Checkout” to accept payments from your online stores right away.
Make sure “Accept PayPal payments before API permissions or credentials are set up” is selected.
Then go back to the main “API Access” menu and click ”Add or edit API permissions”.
Enter support_api1.litmos.com into the Third Party Permission Username field and click Lookup.
Check the boxes shown below and click Add.