Account Owners, Administrators, Team Administrators and Team Leaders can import course completions in bulk. A maximum of 50,000 completion records can be imported in a single file upload.
Here are some tips to help ensure that the file processes correctly:
- Ensure that the user exists in Litmos. Users are not created through the course completion import
- Ensure that the username is correct. If the username is not correct, the course completion import will fail for that user
- Ensure that the course exists and that the course code (found at the course's settings page) is correct. A course will not be created through the completion import, and if the import code is incorrect the course completion import will fail for that row
- Set course Compliance or Due Dates settings (if applicable) prior to the import. Since emails will be sent to users based upon these settings, and to avoid unintended emails, please review our help article prior to the import. Article: Setting Due dates or Compliance
- The date format shown for the completion date field on the import template conforms to the Admin's date format as set on their profile. This determines the format required on the import file, the completion date format does not need to be set on a per user basis.
Important: If you run multiple imports that contains the same user/course combination, the details in the most recent import will display against the user's profile. For example, if a user is currently displaying as completing Course A on 1st March 2020, and your import file contains a completion date of 3rd March 2018, the user will be displayed as completing Course A on 3rd March 2018. Their achievement for 1st March 2020 will be retained. Please keep this in mind if you are importing multiple completions on a course - import using dates from oldest to newest (with the last import containing the most recent completion).
To begin: Navigate to the Content tab>Quick Actions>Bulk Imports>Import Course Completions
The next page will display help directions for the course completion import process and will provide an example import template. Download the example import template and begin populating the import data
Once the import template is downloaded, begin to add data for: Username, Completion Date, and "Course Code for importing in bulk" which should be copy/pasted from the course's Settings subtab or can be retrieved in bulk via Reports at: Reporting Engine>Course>Summary>Course Report
Once the template is completely filled out, click Choose File to load the template. Be sure to select to indicate whether the first row of the import file contains column headers. Be sure that if you are using Compliance settings, to select whether you want to move non compliant users into their resit/retake period. Article: Setting Due Dates or Compliance
Click Next to stage the file and then click Map Fields
Now the Import Mapping page will display. Map each field that you wish to effect so that the template header columns (as named on your file) will map to the proper fields in the Litmos system. Once the mapping is complete, click Import
Upon clicking Import, the Admin will be redirected to the Content tab view and a message will display: "Your file has been uploaded and is queued for import. Due to the large volume of records this may take time so please be sure to check the Dashboard>Recent Imports widget for updates". The reason this message appears is because the import can process up to 50,000 records at a time, which may require processing time
Note: Import logs will be deleted after 30 days.
Once the file finishes processing, you may download the course completion import results and review the successes/failures of each row.