The ability to import courses into Litmos in bulk is available to Account Owners, Administrators, Team Administrators, and Team Leaders. The import function is located in the Administrator Course Library.
To begin, click on Options and select Import Courses in bulk and review the Import rules. It is important to take note of the following bulk import rules:
- Your import file must include the Course Name field and the Course Active Status field.
- If you're updating Courses in bulk for courses that already exist in Litmos, it is required to include the Course Code for each course that is to be updated via import. This Course Code is the same Course Code that is automatically system generated whenever a new course is created. In the past, this Course Code was only used in the People Bulk Import process (to ensure users in the bulk import of people would be assigned to the course).
- Currently, if an Admin wants to set a Course Due Date or a Course Access Expiration Date, the Administrator has the the option to enforce the setting by either "time span" or a specific date. Only one of these settings can be enabled at any time for any course in Litmos. This means that only one of these settings can be updated per course in the bulk import file. If both fields are set during the import, an error will occur for that record in the import.
The Import Courses in Bulk page also mentions these Course Import rules:
To proceed with the preparation of the Course Bulk Import, an Administrator will access the template Import file available under the text, "use this template to get started".
When the file opens, the column headers will indicate which information and course settings can be applied during the import process. See below for an exhaustive list:
- Course Title (text) *Required
- Description (text)
- Course Code (Course-Code)
- Active Status (TRUE/FALSE) *Required
- Course Library (TRUE/FALSE)
- Notifications (Username)
- Module Order ((TRUE/FALSE)
- Course Inactivation Date [mm/dd/yyyy OR dd/mm/yyyy]
- Course Access Expiration Date [mm/dd/yyyy OR dd/mm/yyyy]
- Course Access Expiration Time Span [<= 365]
- Course Due Date [mm/dd/yyyy OR dd/mm/yyyy]
- Course Due Date Time Span [<= 365]
- Course Compliance Date [<= 365]
- Course Compliance Retake [1/7/14/21/30/60/90]
- Category 1 (Category Name)
- Category 2( Category Name)
- Category 3 (Category Name)
- Topic 1 (Topic Name)
- Topic 2 (Topic Name)
- Topic 3(Topic Name)
- Social Sharing (TRUE/FALSE)
- Discussion Forums (TRUE/FALSE)
- Course Prerequisite 1 (Course-Code)
- Course Prerequisite 2 (Course-Code)
- Course Prerequisite 3 (Course-Code)
- Learning Path Prerequisite 1 (Learning Path Code)
- Learning Path Prerequisite 2 (Learning Path Code)
- Learning Path Prerequisite 3 (Learning Path Code)
Note: Reminder emails for Due Date, Expiration Date, and Compliance will need to be set within the course settings in the system.
Once the file has been compiled and it's ready for import, select the file for import and check the box, "The first row of my file contains column titles" if the column titles were not edited during compilation. If the headers were edited during compilation, do not check this box and proceed to the import mapping page by clicking the "Next" button. Once the file has been properly assembled by Litmos for mapping, the "Next" button will transform into a "Map Fields" button. Click this to proceed.
On this page, the column headers will display. Clicking into each drop-down associated to a column header on the file will allow the Administrator to choose a correct example field value for proper mapping of the column header to the appropriate information in the file.
Once all the fields have been mapped properly, click "import" to queue the file for import into Litmos. The file processing time can differ based on the size of the file and the time of day, as it uses a queued service to process the file.
Once the file has processed, the courses imported can be found in the Admin Course Library.