A team in Litmos allows you to easily assign training to groups of learners, run reports on these learners and allow specific users (team leader/admin) to report/administer the team.
There are 3 questions to ask when starting out with teams:
- Who needs what training?
- How do you want to report on your training in Litmos? Do you need to filter reporting by Teams?
- Where and how do you want to use Team Leaders/Admins?
These will allow you to ring fence groups of learners who need the same training, and account for reporting, marking, and segregated team management.
- The team structure is one of the most important steps in a successful training platform - think this through carefully! Making major changes can be hard.
- The Structure
- Parent Team: Start with an umbrella team that encompasses the entire account. This allows for easier reporting, restructuring, scaling and bulk course assignment. There are no negatives to having this team.
- Multiple Hierarchies: The team hierarchy does not need to be one unit. There can be several independent hierarchies and learners can be included in all of them. See some of the examples listed below.
- There’s no Limit: Users can be in as many teams as needed, and you can have as many teams as required.
- Access Roles
- Different Team, Different role: A user can be a learner in one team, and a team admin/lead in another. Make sure you plan accordingly.
- Roles and Permissions: Make sure you understand your Team Leader/Team Admin access levels. Determine what you want each role to do, test this, and promote users to these access levels on teams as required
- Content Assignment
- Course/Learning Paths: Content can be assigned in more than one place, a learner will not see a duplicate of the course.
- Also Assign to sub team: This is an awesome trick to push course to a team and all its sub teams.
- Team Libraries: Assign optional courses here to avoid making the course available to everyone.
- Team Lead/Admin Library: This feature ties in with access roles, and adds to the list of courses a Team Lead/Admin can assign out.
- Learner Assignment
- Litmos Assign: Automate your learners into their teams in Litmos through Litmos Assign.
- Bulk Import: When you have a lot of learners and a lot of teams, using the bulk people import feature can help here.
- Self-Sign up: Allow learners/customer/partners to join teams on their own by making use of self-sign up.
- API: Want a fully automated solution which works with a different system? Use our APIs to develop this exactly as you require.
- Below are some examples which illustrate different ways to use teams to meet your needs.
Training done by role/department
The structure below allows an admin to designate training to learners based on their department. They can also promote department heads to team leader to allow them to report on their teams. The external team is there as a placeholder in case of future expansion (not required).
- Existing learners will be placed into 2 teams from the onset.
- Their Department
- All Staff Compliance Training
- New starters from go live onward will be placed into the “New Starter” team.
- Why not use Litmos assign to automate this?
- Department specific content will be assigned to the specific department teams.
- Welcome and new starter content to the New starter team
- Compliance training such as InfoSec to be assigned to the ‘All Staff Compliance Training Team’
Multiple sites, all share the same set of roles whom require the same training. e.g. hospitality.
The structure below allows an admin to designate training to learners based on Role OR Location.
- A learner who works in the bar for North One, can be added to the following teams: Bar; Food and Beverage; North One; North Region; All Sites. (These assignments can be automated using Litmos Assign)
Specific examples of training assignment:
- ‘Bar’ staff to be assigned training in Customer Service and Drinks Making
- ‘Food and Beverage’ to be assigned Food Hygiene training
- ‘All Sites’ to be assigned Company Policies training
- ‘North One’ to be assigned training for their site as desired by Manager
- ‘New Joiners’ get Welcome training and a message from the big boss.
Roles and Permissions
- Each regional manager can be a Team Admin. This will allow them to report on all the sites within their region
- Each site can have a team Admin/Leader. This will allow them to report on their site.
Mainly Customer training, but with a requirement for internal compliance training.
The structure below allows an admin to handle Internal AND External Learners from within the same instance of SAP Litmos.
This is to allow us to assign content to our customers/partners.
- In this example there is a single team for “Standard Customers”. All standard customers need the same generic training, so we can use a single team to achieve this.
- The VIP Customers each get their own team. This is because they get bespoke training and/or can run reports on their own training from within Litmos by having a designated team lead/admin.
Here we have a focus on compliance.
- Each business unit has its own team to add and manage their compliance training for employees. Here you can even make a person from each unit a Team Admin and give them full rein over controlling the training for that team.
- New Joiner team is a great way to get starter trainings to new people.
- TEAM COURSE LIBRARY of “All Staff” can be used to provide optional courses to internal staff only (e.g. Litmos Heroes content).
- Automatically assign staff to the “All staff” team using Litmos assign, looking for your companies email domain in the email field!