Clearing Your Cache
What is a cache and why should it be cleared?
Many websites contain hundreds or thousands of files. In order to keep the loading speed of these websites acceptable, a computer will save many of the components of the website locally. A browser can then recall many of these components from it's memory which is easier and faster then grabbing it over the internet. The problem with this is that when new components replace the remembered files, the new components will not appear. The solution to this is to clear the cache to delete the old components so that it may remember the new components.
When will I need to clear the Cache in Litmos?
The most common reasons are, but not limited to:
- Media is not loading, specifically for videos, PowerPoint and SCORM modules
- Icons and Favicon are not loading or appearing the in the appropriate places
- Modules are crashing or not progressing when viewing them in the learner view
How do I clear my Cache?
The process of clearing a cache varies from browser to browser. Generally speaking, it is located in browser settings, and titled delete/clear cache or temporary files. Below are more detailed directions. However, depending on the browser version, they may very:
- Select Menu in the upper right corner
- Select Settings
- At the bottom of the window, select Show advanced settings
- Select Clear browsing data...
- Select how far back to delete the cache information from the Obliterate the following items from: drop down menu and be sure that the box next to Empty the cache is selected
- Select Clear browsing data
- Select Tools in the upper right corner
- Select Internet Options
- Select Delete... in the Browsing History section of the General tab
- Be sure that the box next to Temporary Internet files is checked
- Select Delete
- Select the Firefox button in the upper left corner
- Select Options
- Select the Advanced tab
- Select the Network tab
- Select Clear Now from the Cached Web Content section
- Select the Safari Settings button in the upper right corner
- Select Preferences...
- Select the Privacy tab
- Click on the Remove All Website Data...
- Select Remove Now