What is BambooHR and why should I integrate it with Litmos?
BambooHR is an HR software that integrates with Litmos by pushing users from BambooHR into Litmos. Employees and their information can be pushed from BambooHR and imported into Litmos, giving them access to Litmos training. This integration is useful for companies using Litmos to train their employees.
Configuration on Litmos
- Navigate to the Account > Integrations tab to locate the BambooHR integration.
- Click on the BambooHR integration icon:
- Next, select the"Enable BambooHR" checkbox. This must be performed before a sub-domain, username and password can be entered for the BambooHR account.
- Before entering BambooHR login credentials, ensure that the username and password belongs to a BambooHR admin that has access to all users in BambooHR that will need to be synced into Litmos. This is important because it ensures that the API Key that will be retrieved when the integration is activated has proper authorization to access all of those employee records. These BambooHR credentials are only used to retrieve the API key and are not stored in Litmos.
- Once the subdomain and the correct BambooHR Admin credentials are entered, click the "Save Changes" button.
Employee Configuration Required on BambooHR: "Enabling Litmos Access"
Once the integration is enabled and the settings are saved, contact BambooHR customer service to enable the "Litmos Access" checkbox that will display on employee records in Bamboo. This field is used to enable BambooHR employees for syncing and provisioning to Litmos. Without it, employees cannot be synced or provisioned into Litmos.
Once it is enabled, perform the following steps to locate and enable this field:
- Log into BambooHR
- Go to the "Employees" tab
- Click into employee details
- Navigate to the Training tab
- Check the "Litmos Access" check-box to give the user access to Litmos.
The Litmos Access field can be checked in bulk for many employees at once by using Bamboo's Power Edit feature:
Once employees have the Litmos Access field enabled, they can be synced and imported into Litmos. The following fields will sync to Litmos from Bamboo:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Work Email (This field in BambooHR becomes the Litmos username when importing the employees into Litmos. Username is a required field, and so if this is not provided for an employee, the import will fail for that user.)
- Work Phone
- Mobile Phone
- Address 1
- Address 2
- Job Title
Important Note: Litmos Admin's must have access to view and manage employee records in BambooHR if they are to perform any syncing and provisioning of employees into Litmos from the BambooHR People tab within the Litmos application.
Also, each employee synced into Litmos is "active" and can log into Litmos unless an employee is "inactive" or "terminated" in BambooHR. Therefore, if employees are updated to inactive or terminated in BambooHR, this employee status can be synced into Litmos by syncing and importing the updated changes. If you prefer to have employee status' updated automatically in Litmos, configure a BambooHR Webhook for this.
NOTE: Updated status will only be synced to the Bamboo Hr people page in litmos, Admin will have to import these users again in Litmos by hitting the Import BambooHR Employees into Litmos button:
Importing BambooHR Users into Litmos
Once BambooHR is enabled and employee's have the "Litmos Access" field enabled, administrators with access to these employee records can perform syncing and provisioning of employees into Litmos. This is performed in the Litmos app by navigating to the "People" tab and selecting the "Import employees from BambooHR in bulk" link seen below:
This takes the administrator to the BambooHR People tab. Here, the first action will be to click on the “Sync BambooHR Employee List” to grab the employees with the "Litmos Access" field enabled.
Once the employees make it onto this page, they can then be selected individually or in bulk for import, and then pushed into Litmos using the “Import BambooHR Employees into Litmos” button.
Recent import results can be downloaded for these BambooHR user imports under the “recent imports” section. This report confirms that the employee's made it into Litmos as Learners or that these Learner profiles were updated. This can also be verified by finding the users in the "People" tab of Litmos.
Enabling Webhooks (optional)
Important Note: Webhooks are not designed for field mapping. Instead, Webhooks are designed for tracking specific field changes.
Additionally, new users will be synced through WebHook and will be created directly in Litmos. However, to create a new user directly in Litmos, three fields - the first name, last name, and work email address of an Employee in BambooHR must be filled and Webhooks must be enable to monitor and post these fields to Litmos.
BambooHR provides a feature called Webhooks, which is an optional feature that can be used to automatically push updated employee data into Litmos learner profiles for compatible integration fields (so that administrators do not have to continually press "sync Bamboo employee list" to stage employee updates in Litmos.
A BambooHR Administrator can configure a Litmos Webhook by following these steps:
1. Navigate to Settings > Account > Webhooks and give a meaningful name to the Webhook
2. Select the fields to monitor for Litmos. The screen below shows the fields can be updated in Litmos:
3. Select the fields to post to Litmos. The fields in the screen below are the fields that Litmos supports for Post:
4. Select the Data format as JSON and add the "Post to URL" found in Account settings --> Integrations --> BambooHR
Note: The API Key provided in this URL is specific to the Webhook endpoint generated for your account, and is not to be edited.
5. Specify a schedule of when the webhooks fire (eg. only at 12:00pm or every hour at 5 after the hour). You can also limit how often a webhook will fire by setting a maximum number of requests per interval in seconds.
If you plan to set up Webhooks, view the Litmos API key generated by clicking on the Litmos API icon in the "Integrations" tab. Please ensure that the API key being used in the Webhook has permission to all fields and users in the range of the Webhook. (Optional)
Added Note: Litmos accepts only the subdomain name. It can have domains such as .bamboohr.com, .bamboohr.co.uk etc
Added Note: Litmos does not store your BambooHR login details, it will be used to fetch the API Key
How to Delete a user in Litmos who is synced through BambooHR
In order to delete a user in Litmos, the Admin must first sync the inactive status of the user in Litmos from BambooHR. The inactive status can be synced through Webhooks or manual sync.
- Mark the user as inactive in BambooHR
- Wait for Webhook to post the inactive status to Litmos or perform a manual sync on the BambooHR people page and then import the user into Litmos
- Wait for the import file to process
- Go to the user profile and wait for the user to be marked as inactive
- Delete the user