Litmos is now offering SAML integration with Single Sign On using Okta as an IdP (Identity Provider). This integration will allow users of Okta to login directly to their Litmos learning accounts and automatically provision new users in the system. Through the use of active directory integration through Okta this will streamline the efforts needed to administer users in Litmos. The steps outlined below will allow for this integration.
Setting Up Okta
Step 1: Sign into Okta, select Applications, and click the “Add Application” button in Okta dashboard.
Step 2: Search for "Litmos" in the search bar and select "Add".
Step 3: On the “General Settings” screen enter an application label and the Login URL to log into Litmos. For example, if you log into https://yourcompany.litmos.com, enter https://yourcompany.litmos.com.
Step 4: Select "Next" for the Sign-On Options and Provisioning tabs.
Step 5: In the Assign to People tab, assign to any initial users to make Litmos available for and select "Next". Select "Done"
Step 6: By default, you will be on the "Sign On" sub tab. Select "View Setup Instructions" in the yellow box.
Step 6: Follow the instructions, including copying and pasting the text given in step 4 and 5 into the SAML section within the Integrations sub tab within the Accounts tab in Litmos.
Note: The text in step 4 and 5 of the Okta help guide will include a security certificate specific to your account. Therefore, this guide MUST be accessed through your Okta account.
For additional references, check out the Okta Playbook for Litmos.
Deep Linking into a Course or Learning Path from Okta
When a learner clicks on the Litmos button from within Okta, they will be brought into a specific course.
Note: This is not a dynamic feature and can only be linked to one course or one learning path.
To set up the deep link into a Course or Learning Path from Okta:
- From within Okta, navigate to the Admin side and select "Applications"
- Click on the "Litmos" application
- Navigate to the "Sign On" tab
- In the "Settings" section, click "Edit" at the top
- If it's not already selected, choose the SAML 2.0 section
- Enter the Course or Learning Path ID. This code will be the text after the "?" and should look like "C=12345" for a Course and "LP=1234" for a Learning Path.
To find the codes for step 6 above:
- Navigate to the Settings tab within a Course or Learning Path
- Copy the Course or Learning Path code part of the link in the yellow Direct Link box. This code will be the text after the "?" and should look like "C=12345" for a Course and "LP=1234" for a Learning Path.
Note: The user must be assigned to the course or learning path in order to access it directly. If they are not assigned to the Learning Path or Course directly, they will receive a "Invalid Access" error message.