What is Shopify and why would I use it?
Shopify is a powerful ecommerce website solution that allows you to sell online. To allow for more advanced ecommerce solutions than ever before, Litmos has developed an app to allow you to sell your Litmos courses using Shopify. Some of the advantages to using Shopify are:
- Custom storefront
- Marketing and SEO features
- Coupon Codes
- Bundling courses
- A large selection of payment choices
Setting up Shopify
To set up Shopify with Litmos:
- Create a new account on Shopify by going to shopify.com and log into the new account OR log in to an existing Shopify account.
- Go to: https://api.litmos.com/v2/shopify
NOTE: For clients using the Australian Litmos site, please use the following link:
- Enter in your Shopify address (for example: yourcompany.myshopify.com) and click login
- It will ask you if you want to install an unlisted app - click "install unlisted app".
- Enter your Litmos API key.
- Click “Save”.
- Select the courses or learning paths you would like to sell or check the “Select all” box to sell all courses and click “Add to Store”. Note: Uncheck “Publish to store immediately” if you would like to push the course to Shopify but not to your Shopify store.
Note: This application requires a Shopify account which may be at an additional cost. Click here to learn more.
Note: Because this is a one time push, additional changes to the ecommerce section of a course will not affect your Shopify listing. To update your Shopfiy listing, please do so directly within Shopify.
Most common issues
1) The user is not being assigned to the course in Litmos
In order for Litmos to know what course is being purchased in Shopify, the product SKU in Shopify must match the course code in Litmos. If these codes do not match, the learners purchasing the course(s) will not be assigned to a course in Litmos.
You can find these numbers by:
- Navigate to the Admin View
- Select "Products"
- Select the course to view
- Navigate to the "Pricing" section and view the field for "SKU"
- Navigate to the Admin View
- Select the "Course" tab
- Select the course from the list
- Click on the "Settings" sub tab
- The Course Code will be listed in bold in a yellow box on the right
2) The Course or Learning Path does not appear in the App to push over to Shopify
The App within Shopify will look for new Courses and Learning Paths within Litmos based on their name. The App will not display Courses and Learning Paths that are already in your Shopify account. Therefore, if you already have a Course or Learning Path within Shopify with the same name as the Course or Learning Path that you are trying to push into Shopify, it will not show up.
To fix this issue, change the name of the Course or Learning Path within Litmos. It should now appear in the App within Shopify. Once the Course or Learning Path has been pushed over, you can then change the name of the Course or Learning Path in both Shopify and Litmos.
3) A user purchased a course or learning path and did not receive an email to login.
Please note that Shopify allows customers to complete the checkout by entering an email or a phone-number.
Since the Litmos integration with Shopify relies on the email address entered by the customer during checkout, if a customer completes the checkout by entering a phone-number instead of an email address, no email will go to the customer. A phone number will exist on the email field for that individual in Litmos and the phone number will also exist on the username field for that individual. Please instruct your customers to checkout using email addresses to ensure they receive Litmos emails.
Below are the steps that a user will go through when purchasing a course through Shopify.
- They will navigate to your Shopify storefront.
- They will find and purchase the course through Shopify.
- They will receive an email from Litmos that contains a login key. The purpose of this email is to verify this user.
- They will set up a password and enter any additional user profile information.
- They can now take your course in Litmos.
Unregister Your Shopify Store to Disconnect Litmos
Below are the steps that a user will go through to disconnect Litmos from the Shopify store.
- Login to Shopify and find "Apps" in the navbar menu. Click on "Apps".
- Find "Installed Apps" and click on Litmos LMS.
- Once the Litmos LMS app is open, click on the app "Settings" tab
- Click the "Unregister Store" button
Note: This will not affect any content on your Shopify store. This will only disconnect the current Litmos account from your Shopify.com store. A Litmos account can be connected to this store again if needed.