What is Shopify and why would I use it?
Shopify is a powerful ecommerce website solution that allows you to sell online. To allow for more advanced ecommerce solutions than ever before, Litmos has developed an app to allow you to sell your Litmos courses using Shopify. Some of the advantages to using Shopify are:
- Custom storefront
- Marketing and SEO features
- Coupon Codes
- Bundling courses
- A large selection of payment choices
UPDATE: November 2019
Please note the changes to our application with the release of the new private app method of integration. We will no longer support the legacy integration that utilized the https://api.litmos.com/v2/shopify web-page as this method was found to be unreliable. This new method will require that you manually create items in Shopify with their appropriate course code SKUs but ensures a much more reliable integration.
You will need to delete the old app first to move forward with the new version.
Create a Private App on Shopify
To create a private app on Shopify, login as an Admin and navigate to Apps --> Manage private apps, and then click "Create a new private app":
Once an app name and developer email have been entered, proceed to ensure the API credentials provide appropriate access to all Admin API Permissions. All of them need "Read and write" access.
Next, ensure your store will "Allow this app to access your storefront data using the Storefront API" and all of the following settings are enabled:
Next, proceed to "save" the app. Once saved, the API key and password will display.
Update the Webhook API version to 2019-04
These details will be entered into Litmos to complete the Shopify integration configuration.
Set Up in Litmos
In Litmos navigate to the course and scroll towards the bottom to enabled "I want to sell this course". Once this is checked it will allow you to see this course in the Shopify integration.
Most common issues
1) The user is not being assigned to the course in Litmos
In order for Litmos to know what course is being purchased in Shopify, the product SKU in Shopify must match the Course Code in Litmos. If these codes do not match, the learners purchasing the course(s) will not be assigned to a course in Litmos.
You can find these numbers by:
- Navigate to the Admin View
- Select "Products"
- Select the course to view
- Navigate to the "Pricing" section and view the field for "SKU"
- Navigate to the Admin View
- Select the "Course" tab
- Select the course from the list
- Click on the "Settings" sub tab
- The Course Code will be listed in bold in a yellow box on the right
If it is a learningpath, in the settings if you see 1234-LP, SKU should be LP_1234
2) A user purchased a course or learning path and did not receive an email to login.
Please note that Shopify allows customers to complete the checkout by entering an email or a phone-number.
Since the Litmos integration with Shopify relies on the email address entered by the customer during checkout, if a customer completes the checkout by entering a phone-number instead of an email address, no email will go to the customer. A phone number will exist on the email field for that individual in Litmos and the phone number will also exist on the username field for that individual. Please instruct your customers to checkout using email addresses to ensure they receive Litmos emails.
Below are the steps that a user will go through when purchasing a course through Shopify.
- They will navigate to your Shopify storefront.
- They will find and purchase the course through Shopify.
- They will receive an email from Litmos that contains a login key. The purpose of this email is to verify this user.
- They will set up a password and enter any additional user profile information.
- They can now take your course in Litmos.