Step 1: Set Up a Verified PayPal Business Account
NB: If you already have a PayPal Business or PayPal Pro account please skip down to ‘Step 2: Set Up API Access’ below.
Customers who don’t have a PayPal account:
- Go to PayPal.
- Click Sign Up Today.
- Set up an account for Business Owners.
- Follow the instructions on the PayPal site.
Customers who already have a Personal or Premier PayPal account:
- Go to PayPal.
- Click the Upgrade your Account link.
- Click the Upgrade Now button.
- Choose to upgrade to a Business account and follow instructions to complete the upgrade.
- If you haven’t already, add a bank account to become a Verified member. Follow the instructions on the PayPal site. This process may take 2-3 business days.
Step 2: Set Up API Access
Once you have created your PayPal business account you need to allow API access to Litmos as a third party integrator so that we can initiate the PayPal transactions on your behalf.
- Log in to your PayPal account and click Profile in the sub-tabs
- In the My selling tools area, click Update next to API access. (This has changed in PayPal Pro to be Request API Credentials)
- Click the Add or edit API permissions link.
- Select Add New Third Party
- In the Third Party Permission Username field, enter support_api1.litmos.com.
- Check Express_Checkout
- Click the Add button.
The API access instructions for PayPal Pro accounts may vary slightly (there are a few more screens to click through) but you will achieve the same result.
Next up: check out Linking a PayPal Account to a Litmos Account