Learners can navigate to their Content Library tab to search for and self-enroll for courses (or learning paths) when the course's/learning path's settings are set so that the item is available in the Content Library.
*Note: Assignments available in the Content Library can be Self-unassigned by the learner whether the learner has self-enrolled or has been assigned by an admin.
*For items being sold on Ecommerce, you'll want to make sure that this setting is disabled so that users will not be able to self-assign.
To add or remove a Course or Learning Path from the Content Library: Navigate to the course's or learning path's Settings subtab and select or de-select the setting: 'Include this course in the content library so learners can self signup'.
Searchable Fields for Content Library tab in Learner View:
- Course Title
- Course Description
- Module Title
- Learning Path title
- Learning Path description
**Note: Learners will have no visibility to a course after the expiration date if the course access has been set to expire via the 'Access Expiration Date' course Setting
Recommended Courses Feature
This feature gives Learners a list of Recommended Courses within the Content Library to aid them in searching for courses relevant to their role and preferences.
- An Account Owner will enable this feature at: Account settings,>Litmos Features,>Recommended Courses
- Click the box for "Enable Recommended Courses"
- Select any of the following Options:
Most Popular Courses section - When enabled, this option will show the Learner the top eight most taken courses in the Content Library by all Learners.
Now Trending - When enabled, this option will show the Learner the top eight most taken courses in the Content Library by all Learners in the last 7 days. If the Learner has already started the course, it will not appear in their trending courses.
- Recommended for you > Enable recommendations based on peer history > Job Title - When enabled, the Learner will see the top eight suggested Courses based on Courses people with their same Job Title have viewed.
- Recommended for you > Enable recommendations based on peer history > Company - When enabled, the Learner will see the top eight suggested Courses based on Courses people with their same Company have viewed.
Learner View of Recommended Courses:
From the Content Library tab, Learners navigate to Filters and select 'Recommended for you' which will return a list of suggested courses.
Topics and Subtopics Feature
This feature allows learners to search at the Content Library tab for courses and learning paths by subject(s) to find courses relevant to them and their job role.
- An Account Owner will enable this feature and create the topics hierarchy at: Account settings,>Litmos Features,>Topics & Subtopics
- Select "Add Topic" button to add a new topic
- Give the Topic a name and click "Save."
- To create subtopics, select the "Add SubTopic" link under the Topic or Subtopic
- Now admins can navigate to a course's Settings subtab and add topics
Note: Topics and their Subtopics will be listed alphabetically.
To attach Topics & Subtopics to a Course or Learning Path:
Once Topics & Subtopics have been created by the Account owner they can attached to a course or learning path from it's setting's tab:
- Navigate to the Course or Learning Path Settings
- In the 'Topics/ Sub Topics' section, select "Add Topics"
- Expand and collapse Topics by clicking on the + or -
- Click "Add" to add a Topic or Subtopic to add it to that Course or Learning Path
- Click the X to remove the Topic or Subtopic from that Course or Learning Path
- Topics can also be added by Bulk Course Import Link to Article on Bulk Course Imports
Note: Courses and Learning Paths will only appear in a Topic or Subtopic in Learner View if they have been specifically categorized for that Topic. If a Subtopic has been chosen, the Course or Learning Path will not automatically inherit the parent Topic. Topics & SubTopics will only appear on Learner View if a Learner has access to a Course or Learning Path with that Topic or Subtopic.
Topics & Subtopic Best Practices:
- Plan out the structure of the Topics & Subtopics before building them. This helps prevent unorganized structures, unnecessary topics, or the need to rebuild the structure
- Using Topics without Subtopics is an acceptable and sometimes preferable structure. Forcing Subtopics when not necessary may cause confusion for learners.
- Course or Learning Path settings must be set so that the item is available in the Content Library in order for it to display to the learner
- If a Subtopic has been added to a Course or Learning Path, it may make sense to add the Parent Topic as well
A user with Account Owner permissions can Enable and Create Categories at: Account Settings,>Litmos Features,>Content Tagging, after which admins will be able to attach courses to the tags via the course's Settings page.
To attach a Tag to a course:
- Navigate to a course in admin view
- Click on the Settings sub tab
- Under the Tagging section select the appropriate Tag from the Tags drop down menu or create a brand new tag
Tagging Best Practices:
- Each content type will support up to 20 tags that can be up to 30 characters long.
- Special characters and spaces are not supported in tags.
- Underscore (‘_’) is the only accepted special character.
- Tags should be a single word string with no space(s) or strings separated by an underscore For example, “HumanResources” or
- Tags are not case sensitive.
- Tags are unique and can't be duplicated.
Want to learn more about these Features, or about Course Settings? Check out these quick courses in Litmos Dojo: "Account: Litmos Features and Integrations" and "How To: Manage General Course Settings"