Q. I need to record custom information about each of my users, such as an employee ID number, alternative phone number, location or category of Learner. How can I achieve this?
A. There are two ways to create custom user fields. You can create up to 25 custom fields and up to ten legacy custom fields within your user's profiles.
Custom fields are in user profiles only if the custom field has been turned on. They can also be made mandatory or hidden from the Learner. There are also four field types that can be set to help collect accurate information. This can be set by:
- Navigate to Accounts > Litmos Features > Custom Fields > User Custom Fields
- Enabled User Custom Fields and click Save
- Select "Add Custom Field"
- Enter Custom Field Label and Custom Field Type (see below for more details). All other settings are optional.
- Click Save
The Custom Field Types are:
- String - a sequence of characters.
- Number - a number
- Date - a date in mm/dd/yyyy format
- Dropdown - add dropdown fields by selecting "Edit Dropdown" to have custom predefined items to choose from.
To to add a legacy custom field please follow these steps:
- Navigate to Accounts > Messages & Labels button on the tab bar
- Scroll down to the Custom fields section and click "Add Custom Fields" to add a new custom field.
- Check the Make compulsory box next to the field, to make the field required for a user to fill out the field before logging into the system. (Optional)
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click "Save".
If you require hiding the legacy fields from Learners, this is possible through CSS. Please see our Frequently Requested CSS Help Guide for more information.