Welcome to the SAP Litmos Family
We are positively thrilled to welcome you!
This guide will help you set up your new SAP Litmos platform. Think of this as a world map. It gives you a high-level overview of the set-up process.
In each section, there are links that take you to a technical explanation for the step you’re working on. Think of these links as your city map. They give you a detailed explanation of the action.
We hope you find it valuable and informative!
SAP Litmos Squad
Stop! Before going forward, we highly recommend you click the download link below for a PDF version of this guide.
How to use this guide:
Step by Step we’ve broken down your launch into eight simple sections.
We recommend completing the sections in order - but feel free to skip to any section you want to work on.
Pro Tips and Guidance
Within each section, you’ll find a short summary of the topic, pro-tips from folks who have been there, done that, and courses we recommend you take. For best results, do it all in that order. Read through the summary, complete the linked Dojo course, then the Launching Litmos module(s) linked at the end of the content. If you're on the fast track, and just want to get the gist of things, check the Fast Track courses. Then rinse, and repeat! See your first protip below:
Pro Tip: Your launch product doesn’t have to be perfect. You may never get it out the door if that’s your goal. Consider, what’s the minimum functionality, content, etc you need to have your desired impact at launch? You can always build from there!
SAP Litmos is agile and easy to implement! While no implementation is the same, you can be up running in as little as a few days. Seriously!
Remember: You’re the driver!
It’s important to plan before you start, well… implementing. You ever try cooking something new before reading the ingredients and recipe first? How’d that go?
Before You Start:
- Log in to your shiny, new SAP Litmos platform. Pssst: your Account Executive (the sales rep)can issue a password reset and retrieve your information securely if you misplaced it.
- Get everyone on your admin team (yourself included) to visit: dojo.litmos.com/self-signup. Fill out the form using the code LITMOS (case-sensitive). This will automatically assign you all the Launching Litmos courses, which are conveniently bundled modules on the topics we’ll be covering in this guide. You can find these courses by navigating to your Content Library > Select Courses > Click the Topics Filter Dropdown and start typing “Launching Litmos” to find the category.
- HINT: If you and your team already have accounts in the Dojo simply enter the SAME account information (First/Last Name, Email Address) you already use to log in. The courses will be added to that account instead of creating another one. A teachable moment for you here using the self-signup functionality. You’re welcome!
You and your Admins hop into the Dojo and complete the Welcome to Litmos + Platform Quick Look. You’ll love it!
Settle in and get yourself acquainted with your new SAP Litmos platform! Check out these Dashboard courses first to get-to-know your Account Owner, Admin, Team Admin, and Learner view environments. This is the fastest way to learn the landscape, where everything is, and get you started RIGHT!
PART 1: Establish Your MVP
HERE WE GO. DON’T STRESS. IT’S MINIMUM VIABLE PRODUCT TIME.
Start by putting some thought into what you want your launch product to look like and the journey you’ll take to get there. This is your map. The details are the who, why, where, what, and when that will explain how you get to your launch.
- What’s your go-live date? Set a goal and work backwards from launch to plan your implementation strategy.
- Set short, actionable milestones along your implementation journey. This helps keep the energy positive. Use clear objectives and deadlines, and set expectations with your implementation team about who does what, when.
What are the must-haves for the launch?
- Content. People. Teams. Reporting. What else do you absolutely need to get going? Align your strategy accordingly!
- Think: Phase 1, Phase 2, Phase 3, etc.
What does your launch product look like?
How does it look? Literally. Does it look like you just took it out of the box? Or does it look like a natural extension of your company? This is a great time to call on marketing/design resources for guidance!
How does it feel? Is it simple? Engaging? Memorable? Or is it like every other dull online portal out there? (I think, NOT!)
How easy is it to get to? Who gets training first, and how are you planning on notifying them? Can learners browse through the library for courses and register? Or will leadership have to do the assigning? Maybe both? In your instance, you’re the boss. You can do all of these things whenever you want!
Put integrations on your radar.
SAP Litmos comes loaded with third-party integrations and connectors you can use to upgrade your instance. From Single sign-on to Salesforce, you might want to take a look at these early to see if any can be used to your advantage. Browse and learn about our integrations by clicking the Launching Litmos - Integrations link on the right!
Remember: Your launch product doesn’t have to be perfect. You may never get it out the door if that’s your goal. Consider, what’s the minimum functionality, content, etc you need to have your desired impact at launch? You can always build from there!
EVERYONE LIKES A GOOD SPREADSHEET, RIGHT?!
To help with your launch, it helps to divide up the responsibilities. Here’s a quick example of how your Launching Litmos Plan might start:
|Take these two Launching SAP Litmos modules.||Take the Launching SAP Litmos - Integrations course|
PART 2: Structure Your Teams
Your Team Structure is one of the most important elements of Litmos to get right. This is how you organize your Learners into groups and deliver targeted training to those groups.
Your Team Structure can be as detailed as you want it to be. When you’re creating it, it’s helpful to whiteboard or use a pen and paper to sketch out what it looks like.
How do I create a Team?
- From your dashboard, click Create a Team
- Give your new Team a name
- TIP: Make your very first team your MASTER. Call it All Employees, or All Learners, etc. Read on to know why!
- The description is optional (but a good idea)
- Add Team
- Success! You created your first team
From here, you can:
- Add more teams!
- TIP: When you’re building your team structure, consider creating every other team UNDER your Master as sub-teams. Check out the Teams course in the SAP Litmos Dojo to learn more about this best-practice!
- Assign a Learner in this team
- Select Assign people to this team
- Assign that fancy new course to the team
- Click the courses sub-tab
- Hint: it’s almost directly underneath the team name
- Click Assign Courses to TeamName
- Select course > Assign
- Click the courses sub-tab
- Success again!
- Click the Teams tab and use the Chart View if you want the best visual representation of your structure
- When building a large team structure, frequently check the Chart View to verify it aligns with your original plan
- Think this through carefully - it isn’t easy to make changes once the structure has been built
Remember: Teams lets you deliver targeted training to Learners assigned to the team. Learners can be assigned to any number of teams. Your team structure should reflect how you deliver training. It isn’t (necessarily) an organizational chart.
|Take the Teams Fast Track.||Take these two Launching SAP Litmos modules.||Take the Launching SAP Litmos - Teams Course|
PART 3: Create Your Content
DRUM ROLL, PLEASE!
This is the part you’ve been waiting for. This is your chance to get creative, engage your Learners, and impart your wisdom. From modules, to courses, to learning paths, assets and collections there are many ways to distribute training to your learners.
Also don’t forget about SAP Litmos Training Content, with 1000+ courses already built, and new ones coming out each month, this is an excellent resource for organizations. If you’ve purchased Training Content with your account, it should immediately be available in your Content Library. Even if you already have your own content, you’re bound to find something relevant for your learners in our catalog. This is just another valuable resource for your training initiative!
How do I create a course?
- From your dashboard, click Create a Course
- Give it a fancy (required) Course Title
- Every other field on this page is optional and can be updated in Course Settings later
- Click Add Modules
- Upload existing content
- Create new content using native Litmos module types
- Have a snack and a sports drink to replenish your electrolytes
- Get familiar with the native course building tools available in Litmos. From surveys to assessments, e-signatures to checklists, and embedded content to learner upload modules... we’ve got you covered!
- Explore gamification to drive Learner engagement
Remember: Using fun and engaging content is key for Learner adoption. This is a great opportunity to consider trading in that dusty slide deck for a fancy SCORM package instead.
|Take the Content Fast Track.||Take these two Launching SAP Litmos modules.||Take the Launching SAP Litmos - Content Course|
Part 4: Add your learners
IF YOU BUILD IT, THEY WILL COME
What good is your brilliant content if you don’t have anyone to train? While adding your Learners isn’t the most dazzling activity, it’s definitely a necessary step.
Luckily, it’s as simple as everything else.
How do I create a new Learner profile?
- From your dashboard, click Create a User
- Fill in the required fields: First Name, Last Name, and Username
- Make sure to use the Learner’s corporate/company email address for the Username
- Add Person
- Finished! Self-high-five!
- De-select “Send an email to this person with a link to login” if you don’t want to notify the Learner of their new profile.
- If you do want to send a notification, you must populate the Email Field with the email address.
- Email addresses are easy to remember and unique. That’s why we suggest using them for the username.
- If you have several new Learners, you can import people in bulk. Here’s how.
Remember: The other profile fields are not mandatory. If you want to make them mandatory so the Learner is prompted to fill them in (saving you countless hours of tapping away on your keyboard), go to: Account Settings > Messages & Settings > Select the Default Fields > Save
|Take the People Fast Track.||Take these two Launching SAP Litmos modules.||Take the Launching SAP Litmos - People Course|
Part 5: Access Reporting
THE PROOF IS IN THE PUDDING... ER... REPORTING
Finally! Nothing like a good piece of data to prove why we bought the LMS in the first place. You have two types of reports at your beck and call – Quick Reports and Reporting Engine.
How do I access my reports?
- Locate the Reports tab and click it
- Quick Reports are speedily accessed along the right side of your page
- Simply select the type of report you want to run
- Quick Reports are speedily accessed along the right side of your page
- Reporting Engine reports are accessed by selecting the Reporting Engine button
- These can be very granular and are custom built by you!
Here's a look at a list of users being pulled with the Reporting Engine:
Reports that you schedule are automatically saved to your Reports Dashboard so they are easily accessed in the future.
- If you like a Quick Report and need to come back at another time, simply bookmark your browser's URL when viewing the report. The URL string stores the exact reporting/filter criteria, which can be accessed later.
Remember: Quick Reports are good for high-level data. Reporting Engine reports are good for granular data.
|Take the Reporting Fast Track course.||Take the Launching SAP Litmos - Reports course.|
Part 6: Setup Account Settings
TIME TO FINE-TUNE THIS PERFORMANCE CLASS LMS
Think of Account Settings as your private garage - only other Account Owners can come in here and work. This is where you design and customize the experience for your Learners.
- Custom fields
- Enabling features
- Updating system-generated emails
- And more!
Disclaimer: You don’t need a degree in computer science to get your platform up to code (pun intended).
How do I get to Account Settings?
- Click the dropdown menu in the upper right corner of your dashboard and select Account Settings.
- It’s that simple… if you’re an Account Owner.
- Start small with a color change. Click Account Settings > Theme and look for the colorful boxes underneath the Learner and Admin Pages Color Scheme. The hashtag with the number is called a Hex Color Code. Send marketing an email and ask them for those, and they’ll think you’re a genius.
- If you want to go farther with instance customization, we recommend checking out the SAP Litmos Dojo course "Instance Customization Pro".
Remember: Account Owners have the keys to the castle. You and the other all-access Owners can do everything in the account – changing themes, accessing billing, turning features on/off and setting up integrations. Keep the number few at the Account Owners few. Put people at Admin or below. Admins can do everything but access the Account Settings part of the LMS.
|Take the Account Settings Fast Track course.||Take the Launching SAP Litmos - Account Settings & Features Course course.|
Part 7: LAUNCH!
🎈🎈⭐ HOORAY!! YOU MADE IT!!⭐ 🎈🎈
If you followed this guide, finished the Launching Litmos course, and consumed the Dojo Blackbelt courses (all while experimenting feverishly in your instance), then the student has become the teacher.
Kidding aside, you should be at a place where your instance is starting to purr. Settings are set, it’s chock-full of incredible content, and it has a brand-new image to match your company’s look-and-feel.
Your team structure looks marvelous; your Learners have their profiles and are assigned to content and teams. Their login information waits for them in their inboxes.
Life is good. Kick back and replenish those electrolytes again.
BUT... Your journey isn’t over. Your Learners need you to keep engaging with them, so they keep coming back. For now, though, give yourself a pat on the back. You earned it!
If you didn’t send out the login emails when you created their profiles originally, just go to your People tab>Options>Send login emails. This will send an invitation to every user who hasn’t logged in.
Remember: This guide will help you get where you want to be. It’ll take a little effort, a little patience, and the smallest bit of elbow grease to get it just right. The most valuable strategy is to get right into the platform and experiment. Don’t try to read the whole book before you take the test. Take it chapter by chapter, experimenting along the way.
If you do get stuck (we all do sometimes), know we’re here for you. Reach out to Tech Support. Reach out to your Account Manager. Reach out to other customers in the Community. Our ecosystem is big, and our drive to fuel your success is undeniable.
|Take these two Launching Litmos courses.|
Part 8: Post Launch!
YOU’VE COME SO FAR, BUT IT’S JUST THE BEGINNING!
Now that your platform is purring, it’s time to start collecting feedback and data. Remember those reports we talked about earlier? Let’s use them.
This is one of the most exciting parts of your implementation. Once you collect the information, you can make intelligent, data-driven adjustments.
What worked and what didn’t?
- What feedback did Learners provide?
- If you didn’t use Survey modules, go add a couple so you can track feedback without leaving Litmos.
- Were there any technical challenges?
- How can they be prevented in the future?
- What was the course completion rate?
- Can this be improved by using a different course structure?
- How engaged were your Learners?
- How frequently did they log in?
- Did they only take courses that were mandatory?
- What can be done to improve engagement?
- Most Importantly: Did you create a fun experience for your Learners? What can be adjusted to create this experience?
Like we mentioned, you’ll never stop finding new ways to engage with your Learners. Luckily, SAP Litmos is just as agile post-launch as it is pre-launch. So make those data-driven changes as often as you want!
Some other things to consider:
- Is there a different group of users within your organization that needs training?
- Do you have customers or partners who need training?
Remember: We’re always here to support you. If you need (or maybe just want) additional resources, please let your Account Manager know.
|Take the Final Recap and you're DONE!!|