The Topics and Subtopics feature allows learners to search at the Content Library tab for courses and learning paths by subject(s) to find courses relevant to them and their job role.
- An Account Owner will enable this feature and create the topics hierarchy at: Account settings,>Litmos Features,>Topics & Subtopics
- Select "Add Topic" button to add a new topic
- Give the Topic a name and click "Save."
- To create subtopics, select the "Add SubTopic" link under the Topic or Subtopic
- Now admins can navigate to a course's Settings subtab and add topics
Note: Topics and their Subtopics will be listed alphabetically.
To attach Topics & Subtopics to a Course or Learning Path:
Once Topics & Subtopics have been created by the Account owner they can attached to a course or learning path from it's setting's tab:
- Navigate to the Course or Learning Path Settings
- In the 'Topics/ Sub Topics' section, select "Add Topics"
- Expand and collapse Topics by clicking on the + or -
- Click "Add" to add a Topic or Subtopic to add it to that Course or Learning Path
- Click the X to remove the Topic or Subtopic from that Course or Learning Path
- Topics can also be added by Bulk Course Import Link to Article on Bulk Course Imports
Note: Courses and Learning Paths will only appear in a Topic or Subtopic in Learner View if they have been specifically categorized for that Topic. If a Subtopic has been chosen, the Course or Learning Path will not automatically inherit the parent Topic. Topics & SubTopics will only appear on Learner View if a Learner has access to a Course or Learning Path with that Topic or Subtopic.
Topics & Subtopic Best Practices:
- Plan out the structure of the Topics & Subtopics before building them. This helps prevent unorganized structures, unnecessary topics, or the need to rebuild the structure
- Using Topics without Subtopics is an acceptable and sometimes preferable structure. Forcing Subtopics when not necessary may cause confusion for learners.
- Course or Learning Path settings must be set so that the item is available in the Content Library in order for it to display to the learner
- If a Subtopic has been added to a Course or Learning Path, it may make sense to add the Parent Topic as well
Want to learn more about Topics and other features? Check out the "Account: Litmos Features and Integrations" course in Litmos Dojo.