Learners can search for courses and learning paths by Topics in the Course Library, and thus gives admins a way to organise the content for their learners.
Creating the Topics & SubTopics Hierarchy
Before using the Topics and SubTopics feature, the hierarchy will need to be created. To create the hierarchy:
- Navigate to Accounts >> Litmos Features >> Topics & Subtopics.
- Select "Add Topic" button to add a new topic,
- Give the Topic a name and click "Save."
- To create subtopics select the "Add Sub Topic" link under the Topic or Subtopic.
Note: Topics and their Subtopics will be listed alphabetically.
Assigning Topics & Subtopics to Courses and Learning Paths
Once Topics & Subtopics have been create, they can be tied any Course or Learning Path.
- Navigate to the Course or Learning Path Settings
- In the Topics/ Sub Topics section, select "Add Topics"
- Expand and collapse Topics by clicking on the + or -
- Click "Add" to add a Topic or Subtopic to add it to that Course or Learning Path
- Click the X to remove the Topic or Subtopic from that Course or Learning Path
Note: Courses and Learning Paths will only appear in a Topic or Subtopic in Learner View if they have been specifically categorized for that Topic. If a Subtopic has been chosen, the Course or Learning Path will not automatically inherit the parent Topic. Topics & SubTopics will only appear on Learner View if a Learner has access to a Course or Learning Path with that Topic or SubTopic.
Topics & SubTopic Best Practices
- Plan out the structure of the Topics & SubTopics before building them. This helps with unorganized structures, unnecessary topics, and the need to rebuild the structure.
- Only use the hierarchies if there is a need for them. Forcing Sub Topics may cause confusion for Learners.
- Using Topics without Subtopics is an acceptable and sometimes preferable structure.
- If a learner is unable to see a Topic or Subtopic, check the courses they are assigned to. Most likely they have not been assigned a Course or Learning Path with that Topic or Subtopic.
- If a Subtopic has been added to a Course or Learning Path, it may make sense to add the Parent Topic as well.