The Litmos Assign is a powerful feature that allows Account Owners to automatically assign content, teams and brands to a learner based defined Rules . These rules are driven by user profile fields and content completions.
Account Owners will Enable Litmos Assign and create Rules at: Account settings --> Litmos Features --> Litmos Assign:
Once the Account Owner clicks on the Assign feature listing, the Account Owner will land on the Assign Rules page. To begin creating a new rule, the Account Owner will click the "Add Rule" button to advance to the Create Rule page.
The Rule name, Last run, Next run, Assign type, Status columns are sortable.
Quick Search: Type the keyword or exact text to do a quick search of the rules.
Add filter: Filter existing assign rules by Rule name, Status (active or inactive), Assign type, Last and Next run.
Creating basic Rules:
Rule Name: This will be the title of the rule.
Description: Give a description that explains the purpose of the rule. Although this field is not required, it is recommended to use this field to describe the purpose of the rule.
Add Filter: Select the user criteria of the users who will need to be assigned to the Course, Learning Path, Team, or Brand. This field can either be a user profile field, User custom field or a completion of a Course or Learning Path. The "Any" or "All" option can be used to determine if the Users must fit all or any of the criteria set in this rule.
Advanced User Custom fields filter: To create advanced custom assign rules, select any of the 25 user custom fields from the select filter drop down.
People Profile fields : Select from all available assignments/filters based on people profile fields. This includes the ability to automate training assignments based on the Learner’s manager, job role and teams along with location information.
Assign to Course/ Learning Path/ Teams: Choose which Course(s), Learning Path(s), Team(s) these users will be assigned to.
Un-Assign from Teams: Choose Team(s) , to unassign selected users from
Frequency: By default frequency will be set to 'None'. Admin can choose to manually trigger the rules by selecting the "Run" button on the main page. If AO wants to set a frequency for the rule to automatically ran, available 'Interval of: 30 mins to 1 day' can be chosen form the drop down.
Creating Advanced Rules:
Account owners can also create rules with complex filter combinations of ANY and/or ALL, to achieve more precise targeting of learners.
Creating filter groups is intuitive and user friendly and follow similar steps to creating a basic rule. When Account owner creates a new rule and adds a filter, each of the filters will now present Admins with ‘Create Filter Group’ option. When this option is selected, the standalone filter will convert that into a filter group.
A filter group is logical sub-group of filters that identify a set of users who qualify ALL or ANY of the selected criteria. Admin can create as many filter groups as needed and group them under an overall Logic to get results that match the selected conditions.
Note: Rules with People and Course object cannot be combined.
Running a Rule
Any saved Rule can be manually ran by selecting the "Run" Button on the main Rule's page. Run a rule manually by:
- As an Account Owner, navigate to Account > Litmos Features > Assign
- Select "Run"
- If the rule had been run before, a prompt will appear asking "Would you like to run this rule against those records identified since last run (recommended)?" By answering Yes,the rule will run only for those whom this rule has not yet been applied. By answering No, the rule will run for all users who fit the criteria for the rule. This is only recommended if changes since the last run have occurred that need to be overridden. By answering Cancel, the rule will not run against any users.
- A page of users who will be affected by Running the rule will be listed. By default, all users will be checked. Uncheck any users who should not have this rule applied.
- By default, email(s) will be sent to the learner(s) on the list. To not send the email, uncheck the box for "Send Course/ Learning Path/ Team notification email." If this option is selected, an email will be sent to the Learner for each Course, Learning Path, and Team defined in the rule.
- Select "Run Rule".
Viewing Recent Activity of the Rule
The Recent Activity can be viewed by selecting the rule name from the main Automatic Assignment Rules page. A list of when the rule had been ran or updated along with the Date and Time. For lines where the rule had been ran, view more information by selecting "Details".
The "Details" screen will list:
- All users affected
- What assignment was made
- When the assignment occurred
- Rules will only run on Active users. If an inactive user becomes active, the rule will then run on the Learner.
- There is a limit on how many assignments will be in the rule. The limit is 10K total items. For example: If a rule identifies 100 users to be assigned to a team that has 100 Courses and 1 Learning Path, the rule will not run because it exceeds the limit of 10k. The total items calculated in this case are 100 Users * 100 Courses + 100 Users * 1 Learning Path.
- Litmos Assign is a Premium feature and may be purchased at an additional price.
We dove deeper into this and other features, check out the Account: Litmos Features and Integrations course in Litmos Dojo.