Choose rules to assign Courses, Learning Paths, and Teams to a Learner.
Rules can be assembled to automatically determine which courses, learning paths and teams Learners will get assigned to. Assignment Rules are enabled and created by Account Owners under the Integrations tab, and a rule can be used to automatically assign Learners to any mix of courses, learning paths and teams.
Setting Up Assignment Rules
To use this feature, the rules and criteria for assigning Courses, Learning Paths, or Teams will first need to be set up:
- Navigate to Account Settings > Litmos Features > Litmos Assign
- If Assignment Rules has not yet been enabled, select "Enable Assignment Rules" and click "Save"
- Select "Add Rule"
- From the "Add Rule" screen, give the rule a name and select the criteria and assignment rules. See below for more details
- Click Save.
Note: Litmos Assign is a Premium feature and may be purchased at an additional price.
The Rule name, Last run, Next run, Status columns are sortable.
Quick Search: Type the keyword or exact text to do a quick search of the rules.
Add filter: Filter existing assign rules by Rule name, Status (active or inactive), Assign type, Last and Next run.
Rule Screen Fields
Rule Name: This will be the title of the rule.
Description: Give a description that explains the purpose of the rule. Although this field is not required, it is recommended to use this field to describe the purpose of the rule.
Add Filter: Select the user criteria of the users who will need to be assigned to the Course, Learning Path, or Team. This field can either be a user profile field, User custom field or a completion of a Course or Learning Path. The "Any" or "All" option can be used to determine if the Users must fit all or any of the criteria set in this rule.
Advanced User Custom fields filter: To create advanced custom assign rules, select any of the 25 user custom fields from the select filter drop down.
Note: The rest of the Assign ‘Add Filter’ functionality remains as is.
Assign to Course/ Learning Path/ Teams: Choose which Course(s), Learning Path(s), Team(s) these users will be assigned to.
Run on an Interval: If unchecked the rule will be saved but will not run. After the rule has been created it can be ran manually by selecting the "Run" button on the main page. If checked the interval at when the rule will be automatically ran can be chosen.
Note: Rules with People and Course object cannot be combined.
Running a Rule
Any saved Rule can be manually ran by selecting the "Run" Button on the main Rule's page. Run a rule manually by:
- As an Account Owner, navigate to Account > Integrations > Automatic Assignment Rules
- Select "Run"
- If the rule had been run before, a prompt will appear asking "Would you like to run this rule against those records identified since last run (recommended)?" By answering Yes,the rule will run only for those whom this rule has not yet been applied. By answering No, the rule will run for all users who fit the criteria for the rule. This is only recommended if changes since the last run have occurred that need to be overridden. By answering Cancel, the rule will not run against any users.
- A page of users who will be affected by Running the rule will be listed. By default, all users will be checked. Uncheck any users who should not have this rule applied.
- By default, email(s) will be sent to the learner(s) on the list. To not send the email, uncheck the box for "Send Course/ Learning Path/ Team notification email." If this option is selected, an email will be sent to the Learner for each Course, Learning Path, and Team defined in the rule.
- Select "Run Rule".
Viewing Recent Activity of the Rule
The Recent Activity can be viewed by selecting the rule name from the main Automatic Assignment Rules page. A list of when the rule had been ran or updated along with the Date and Time. For lines where the rule had been ran, view more information by selecting "Details".
The "Details" screen will list:
- All users affected
- What assignment was made
- When the assignment occurred
Note: Rules will only run on Active users. If an inactive user becomes active, the rule will then run on the Learner.
Note: There is a limit on how many assignments will be in the rule. The limit is 10K total items. For example: If a rule identifies 100 users to be assigned to a team that has 100 Courses and 1 Learning Path, the rule will not run because it exceeds the limit of 10k. The total items calculated in this case are 100 Users * 100 Courses + 100 Users * 1 Learning Path.
We dove deeper into this and other features, check out the Account: Litmos Features and Integrations course in Litmos Dojo.